BREAKING NEWS: Melton ‘stands down’ all 14 planning committee members and sacks French from his Cabinet
ALL 14 members of the planning committee of Fenland District Council are to be stood down next week in a massive fall out in the wake of supermarket-gate.
Most can apply to return but for some – including Councillor Jan French and Councillor Martin Curtis there will be no way back.
Council leader Alan Melton who had promised to “clear out any mischief makers” appeared to signal he felt Cllr French was among that group by not only removing her from the committee but sacking her from his Cabinet.
He also removed Cllr Curtis, the Whittlesey member who had stood aside to fight for Sainsbury’s. Cllr Melton believes Cllr Curtis, like Cllr French, has over stepped the mark and insists both must go.
On Tuesday the Cambs Times, with Editor John Elworthy in the chair will host a public meeting at 6.30pm at the Ivy Leaf club, Whittlesey, to debate supermarket-gate.
You may also want to watch:
Sainsbury’s and Tesco have been asked to send representatives but the evening will be about our readers and their thoughts and opinions.
FOR THE FULL DRAMATIC ACCOUNT OF A TURBULENT WEEK AT FENLAND READ TOMORROW’S CAMBS TIMES
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash