Brexit minister and NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay warns Britain in danger of ‘sleepwalking into remaining in the EU’
- Credit: Archant
NE Cambs MP and Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay warned that if the Britain has not left the EU by October 31 we will face a stark choice of a no deal Brexit or no Brexit at all.
Writing in the Sun newspaper Mr Barclay said: "We are at real risk of sleepwalking into remaining in the EU.
"And the reality is - it won't be in Parliament's gift to extend the time further."
He said the likelihood would then be that the EU would decide matters for us.
"If we don't roll up our shirt sleeves and get on and pass the deal we risk the EU understandably losing patience and refusing any further time."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Barclay said it would be "inexcusable" for the Government not to prepare extensively for a no deal Brexit.
And he said he would "to my last breath" fight to persuaded Parliament not to revoke Article 50.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
"So every MP is now faced with a tough choice - vote for a deal to leave the EU, or head towards a showdown in October where we may lose Brexit altogether," said the MP.
"We have a historic duty to deliver on that vote in 2016. "Most MPs promised to do so."