Bridge damaged by an agricultural vehicle to be repaired - prompting eight day diversions at Walsoken and Marshland St James
- Credit: Archant
A three and a half mile diversion is in store for motorists around the Walsoken and Marshland St James area when a road is closed to repair a bridge damaged by an agricultural vehicle.
Essential bridge repairs are being carried out which means that Smeeth Road must close for at least eight days between 7am and 6pm.
The closure is from Monday February 15 to Wednesday February 24 inclusive.
During the road closure, a signed diversion will be in place which will take drivers through Emneth via Walsoken Road, Lady’s Drove Road, Hungate Road and Edge Bank Road.
Norfolk County Council says the closures are expected to only be on weekdays with the road open at the weekend.
However, if works are delayed due to bad weather, the road may need to remain closed at the weekend, while repairs are completed.
Signs reminding drivers of the closure and diversion will be put up in the area, two weeks before the work starts.
- 1 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 2 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 3 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 4 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 5 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 6 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 7 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 8 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 9 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 10 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
Smeeth Lode Bridge carries the Smeeth Road over a main drainage channel.
The brick wing wall and parapet were damaged by an agricultural vehicle in November.
The road needs to be completely closed during the repairs because of the very narrow road carriageway.
The work, which will cost £11,000, will be carried out by Tarmac.
The diversion route is from north West from the bridge along Smeeth Road which leads onto Walsoken Road, turn South onto Ladys Drove, left onto Church Road, left onto Hungate Road.
Travelling East turn left onto Edge Bank Road , north along Edge Bank Road then turn West back onto Smeeth Road and back to the bridge.