Bright spark is awarded for his electrical skills by the College of West Anglia Isle campus
- Credit: Archant
Ryan Hockton has been awarded for being a bright spark by being presented with the College of West Anglia’s Kevin Clarke memorial trophy.
The award is given each year to the electrical apprentice who has shown the highest level of personal achievement and development during the academic year.
Ryan, who is employed by Bloom and Wake of Outwell, is in the first year of a three year electrotechnical apprenticeship, but has already shown significant promise.
CWA electrical tutor Tim Burgess said: “Competing is an honour normally reserved only for electrical apprentices, but Ryan was demonstrating practical capabilities higher than some of the advanced level apprentices”.
After leaving high school, he completed a full-time electrical engineering course at CWA, during which he secured employment with Bloom and Wake, enabling him to continue his training as an apprentice.
Ryan, 19, has dyslexia, but demonstrated such high practical skills while on his full-time course, that he represented CWA at last year’s Norfolk and Waveney Skills Competition.
The Kevin Clarke award is named after a former electrical apprentice who was killed in a car accident in 1984 and is sponsored by his parents John and Janet Clarke.
- 1 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 2 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 5 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 9 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
The award was presented to Ryan by Mr Clarke along with a prize cheque.