‘British humour, British spirit, enriched with British beer – just perfect’ - our verdict on Whittlesey Straw Bear 2016
- Credit: Archant
Brilliant sunshine, a seasonal nip in the air, every pub packed to the rafters, every piece of pavement and street filled with visitors – and the star attraction in excellent form.
The 2016 Whittlesey Straw Bear Festival that celebrates the old Fenland plough custom of parading straw bears around the town every January was indeed a magnificent success.
Spread across three days – but with Saturday the day to host hundreds of Morris dancers from across the country- the festival was alive with good humour, colour and tradition.
Organisers described it as a “belter.”
The ‘bear’s’ spokesman said: “Good times all round, big thanks to teams, dancers, musicians, bears, band, spectators and the great British weather.
You may also want to watch:
They even coined a last minute advertising promotion on the lines of “disappointed that we won’t be getting a Sainsbury’s at Whittlesey? Let us help you raise your spirits and remove those mid winter blues at the Straw Bear Friday concert?”
British humour, British spirit, enriched with British beer – just perfect.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 8 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 9 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 10 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council