‘British humour, British spirit, enriched with British beer – just perfect’ - our verdict on Whittlesey Straw Bear 2016
- Credit: Archant
Brilliant sunshine, a seasonal nip in the air, every pub packed to the rafters, every piece of pavement and street filled with visitors – and the star attraction in excellent form.
The 2016 Whittlesey Straw Bear Festival that celebrates the old Fenland plough custom of parading straw bears around the town every January was indeed a magnificent success.
Spread across three days – but with Saturday the day to host hundreds of Morris dancers from across the country- the festival was alive with good humour, colour and tradition.
Organisers described it as a “belter.”
The ‘bear’s’ spokesman said: “Good times all round, big thanks to teams, dancers, musicians, bears, band, spectators and the great British weather.
You may also want to watch:
They even coined a last minute advertising promotion on the lines of “disappointed that we won’t be getting a Sainsbury’s at Whittlesey? Let us help you raise your spirits and remove those mid winter blues at the Straw Bear Friday concert?”
British humour, British spirit, enriched with British beer – just perfect.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 9 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'