Brothers battle it out
EXCITEMENT rose to almost fever pitch when the Battling Brothers Vincent and John Wilkinson, climbed into the ring at the Queen s School inter-house annual boxing tournament in 1956. There was certainly no brotherly love about the contest, with both boy
EXCITEMENT rose to almost fever pitch when the 'Battling Brothers' Vincent and John Wilkinson, climbed into the ring at the Queen's School inter-house annual boxing tournament in 1956.
There was certainly no brotherly love about the contest, with both boys wading into each other with unceasing two-handed attacks.
As their respective opponents had withdrawn, John and Vincent sportingly agreed to fight each other.
Thirteen-year-old John opened the bout with a ferocious attack, but stocky little Vincent, 11, stood his ground and to great applause from the crowd fought his bigger brother off with 'clouts' to the head.
You may also want to watch:
John won the points verdict by a narrow margin, but the fight proved to be a real hit with the crowd.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 5 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 6 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 7 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 8 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 9 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 10 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'