BT apologise after collapsed manhole causes traffic chaos in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A COLLAPSED manhole has caused traffic chaos in Wisbech today - but engineers are struggling to repair it because of the freezing temperatures.
Traffic backed up on the A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn this morning after the manhole, maintained by BT, collapsed overnight and prompted a partial road closure.
Engineers were this afternoon working on a “temporary reinstatement” as a permanent repair was not possible because the freezing temperatures were preventing tarmac from setting.
A BT spokesman said: “BT Openreach would like to apologise to those affected by the collapsed manhole and to assure motorists that they are doing everything possible to reinstate the road as quickly as possible.
“Engineers are now on site and carrying out a temporary reinstatement so that the traffic lights can be removed later today.
You may also want to watch:
“A permanent repair will be completed as soon as possible.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire