BT apologise after collapsed manhole causes traffic chaos in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A COLLAPSED manhole has caused traffic chaos in Wisbech today - but engineers are struggling to repair it because of the freezing temperatures.
Traffic backed up on the A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn this morning after the manhole, maintained by BT, collapsed overnight and prompted a partial road closure.
Engineers were this afternoon working on a “temporary reinstatement” as a permanent repair was not possible because the freezing temperatures were preventing tarmac from setting.
A BT spokesman said: “BT Openreach would like to apologise to those affected by the collapsed manhole and to assure motorists that they are doing everything possible to reinstate the road as quickly as possible.
“Engineers are now on site and carrying out a temporary reinstatement so that the traffic lights can be removed later today.
“A permanent repair will be completed as soon as possible.”
- 1 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 2 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 3 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 4 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 7 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 8 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 9 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 10 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues