Build up of grease and fat causes fire at Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
A warning has been issued after a build up of grease and fat led to a fire spreading to the roof of Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris on Friday night.
“Firefighters arrived to find a well-developed fire on the ground floor of a chip shop in West Park Street, which was spreading quickly to other parts of the building, including the roof,” said a Cambs Fire spokesman.
Station commander Pete Jones, the officer in charge of the incident, said: “The fire developed very quickly due to the build-up of grease and fat from the fryers.
“Once the fire got into the vents, it spread to other parts of the building and into the roof space.
“It is important for any food preparation business to ensure the filters and the vents are cleaned regularly to ensure no fat or grease builds up.
You may also want to watch:
“These deposits, if left over time, can present a significant risk of fire spread.”
Crews from Chatteris, March, Ramsey and Huntingdon were called to the blaze on West Park Street at around 8pm.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 10.20pm.
Police were also called to the scene and closed off the road.