Build up of grease and fat causes fire at Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
A warning has been issued after a build up of grease and fat led to a fire spreading to the roof of Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris on Friday night.
“Firefighters arrived to find a well-developed fire on the ground floor of a chip shop in West Park Street, which was spreading quickly to other parts of the building, including the roof,” said a Cambs Fire spokesman.
Station commander Pete Jones, the officer in charge of the incident, said: “The fire developed very quickly due to the build-up of grease and fat from the fryers.
“Once the fire got into the vents, it spread to other parts of the building and into the roof space.
“It is important for any food preparation business to ensure the filters and the vents are cleaned regularly to ensure no fat or grease builds up.
“These deposits, if left over time, can present a significant risk of fire spread.”
Crews from Chatteris, March, Ramsey and Huntingdon were called to the blaze on West Park Street at around 8pm.
- 1 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 2 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 3 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 4 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 5 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
- 6 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 7 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 8 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 9 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 10 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 10.20pm.
Police were also called to the scene and closed off the road.