BUILDING DESIGN AWARDS 2012: 9 March Road, Wimblington, wins Best Home Extension
Owner: Mr & Mrs G Dhillon. Designer: Brand Associates. Builder: Mr R Dolby, March.
THIS four-bedroom house, built in the 1920s, was in desperate need of updating and renovating. The exterior was looking tired and tatty and the interior worn and outdated.
It was decided that, as part of the refurbishment, side and rear extensions including an entrance porch would be incorporated. These were to be sympathetic and complimentary to the style and character of the existing house.
Bay windows were added to the front to serve as a feature to break up the plain elevation and the existing render has been repainted to a ‘fresher’ and more suitable colour.
The interior has been refurbished, with new kitchen and bathrooms fitted and the whole house finished to a high standard.
You may also want to watch:
Judges said of the house: “It is an excellent example of how a relatively modest dwelling can be imaginatively converted and extended to create a large family property.
“Again careful use of materials has taken place and the extensions compliment the original form of the dwelling. A worthy winner for this category.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
5 Elm Park, Whittlesey. Owner: Mr & Mrs Riley. Designer: Scott Wright. Builder: Hartwood Builders Ltd, Whittlesey.
5 Bramble Walk, March. Owner: Mrs C Fisher. Designer: Morton & Hall Consulting Ltd. Builder: Elite Building & Groundworks, March.