BUILDING DESIGN AWARDS 2012: The Cobblestones, March, wins Best Commercial New Build
Owner: Marston’s Inns & Taverns. Designer: David Turnock Architects Ltd. Builder: HG Construction.
THE Cobblestones pub and restaurant makes a major improvement to the Wisbech Road frontage and acts as a landmark building at the entrance to the Hostmoor Avenue industrial area.
Since the opening of the building in autumn 2011 it has proved an extremely popular destination with all age groups and its family friendly approach has already made the pub and restaurant very popular in the town.
The design is based on traditional forms and makes use of a variety of walling and roofing materials to give a strong visual interest on the main road elevation.
The building is set in well-landscaped grounds and includes an enclosed children’s play area adjacent to the building.
You may also want to watch:
Judges said: “The building is located on a very prominent site and incorporates strong design features and appropriate choice of materials.
“The panel was particularly impressed by the standard of craftsmanship both inside and externally. These characteristics contributed to the overall success of the design.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
March Town Bowls Club Pavilion, The Avenue. March. Owner: March Town Bowls Club. Designer: Morton & Hall Consulting Ltd. Builder: TM & JM Hussey, March.
Category sponsor: Bowser, Ollard & Bentley