Building work has begun on a new wind farm on the outskirts of March
- Credit: Archant
Building has started on the latest wind farm project for Triodos Renewables on two sites near March.
Work on the Boardinghouse site of five turbines is expected to take 14 months with a launch in September 2015.
It is expected to generate 30GWh of electricity a year which is the average annual electricity needs of 6,300 homes.
At Floods Ferry Road there is just one turbine generating 1.5MW of electricity a year which is likely to be operational by the end of this year.
The wind farm is on a brownfield site belonging to Greenvale and will provide enough energy to power its potato processing facility with the rest going to the local network.
At its peak 50 people will be employed on the contract directly and with local sub-contractors.
Monika Paplaczyck, Investment Manager at Triodos Renewables, said: “With the project being acquired in February and March this year, we are really pleased with the swift mobilisation of construction activities.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Couple up for the challenge as new high street shop launched
“This means we are able to quicken the pace in which we can ultimately start generating renewable energy from these two sites in Cambridgeshire.
“As with all our projects, we have looked to resource our supply chain by employing local contractors and we are delighted to be working with R G Carter who are based in the area.
“By the end of next year, we will have invested in a combined energy generation output of 11.75 MW from Boardinghouse and Floods Ferry Road taking our Cambridgeshire total to 21.75MW.”
Sited on farmland, the civil engineering for both sites is being delivered by R G Carter.
EcoGen, who are part owners of the wind farm along with Triodos Renewables and the local landowner, are managing the project.
The wind farm is the twelfth in Triodos Renewables’ portfolio.