100 years on - and Stainless Metalcraft provide a unique insight into the emphasis and training of young apprentices
- Credit: Archant
Apprentices at Stainless Metalcraft are marking the centenary of the company’s apprenticeship scheme by recreating a photo from 100 years ago of their first apprentice intake.
The original photo, which is held at Chatteris Museum, shows 22 apprentices at the Metalcraft site on August 23, 1916.
The company is still located at the same premises on Honeysome Road, Chatteris, and today’s photo not only marks the start of the centenary celebrations but also the largest apprenticeship intake at the firm in recent history, following a landmark £47million contract win for Sellafield’s decommissioning process.
Managing director Austen Adams said: “As a former apprentice myself, I can vouch for the fact that high-quality apprenticeships offer a fantastic route into engineering careers.
“In fact, over 50 per cent of our current employees trained at our Chatteris site.”
Mr Adams said: “I’m incredibly proud to be leading a company that has such a strong track record supporting young people into employment and I hope those apprentices recreating the photo today will go on to have long and rewarding careers with the business.”
Metalcraft is home to the Fenland Engineering Skills Centre. All apprentices develop hands-on manufacturing skills alongside a range of commercial and operational skills they’ll need to build rewarding, long-term careers in the industry.
- 1 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 2 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 5 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 9 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
- 10 Jail for man who threatened to kill former girlfriend
Metalcraft is part of Avingtrans PLC’s energy and medical division, which offers a one-stop shop for the design, manufacture, installation and maintenance of systems for the oil and gas, nuclear, power, renewables, environmental and medical markets.