A newly opened Fenland farm shop are proud keepers of a secret sausage recipe past down through generations at Wisbech’s well-known G.W Frank’s butchers.
- Credit: Archant
The tasty bangers were feared lost when David and Christine Williams decided to close the family butcher’s earlier this year after 107 years of trading.
But Samuels Farm and Butcher’s Shop in Walpole St Andrew, which opened its doors today (Friday) will be offering sausages made to the recipe, which according to the website ‘rate my sausage’ have a “proper flavour that won’t disappoint you”.
Pork butcher G.W Frank traded in Wisbech town centre since the early 1900s and also until 20 years ago had a shop opposite March Market Place.
The newly opened farm shop off Walpole Lane is being run by Ben Human and his family and not only offers the renowned Frank’s sausages but also fresh vegetables.
The farm shop’s Facebook page states: “Very proud and honoured for Samuels to be selling as of this Friday G.W Frank’s 112 years own recipe sausage and pork pies.
“The family want the tradition of G.W Frank’s to continue through us. I am so honoured to be doing this. We have had the family, some doing this recipe for over 45 years themselves today teaching myself and John there own special way. Can’t wait for you all to come and carry on a famous local tradition.”
A reviewer on ‘rate my sausage’ website tries to work out what secret ingredients make the Frank’s banger so special and concludes: “I am fairly certain that there must be some bacon included in these sausages. There was a rasher on the plate, but I could taste the Danish with the very first mouthful of banger. It worked well too, and the overall flavour was mild, with a very traditional, old-fashioned feeling. Very little seasoning or herbs and spices to tickle your taste-buds, but a nice, proper flavour that won’t disappoint you.”
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 7 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 8 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 9 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 10 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
Continuing to describe the sausage’s texture the writer states: “You can see that these chaps look good before they even hit the frying pan, with a wealth of attractive multi-coloured speckles apparent under the casing. And when cooked and sliced, you can enjoy the coarse-chopped filling to the full. If you like your bangers smooth and uniform look elsewhere, every cut into Frank’s pork sausages gives you a different texture to savour.”
Thanks to Samuel’s Farm and Butcher’s Shop sausage ‘aficiandos’ can continue to enjoy a Frank’s banger.