A newly opened Fenland farm shop are proud keepers of a secret sausage recipe past down through generations at Wisbech’s well-known G.W Frank’s butchers.
- Credit: Archant
The tasty bangers were feared lost when David and Christine Williams decided to close the family butcher’s earlier this year after 107 years of trading.
But Samuels Farm and Butcher’s Shop in Walpole St Andrew, which opened its doors today (Friday) will be offering sausages made to the recipe, which according to the website ‘rate my sausage’ have a “proper flavour that won’t disappoint you”.
Pork butcher G.W Frank traded in Wisbech town centre since the early 1900s and also until 20 years ago had a shop opposite March Market Place.
The newly opened farm shop off Walpole Lane is being run by Ben Human and his family and not only offers the renowned Frank’s sausages but also fresh vegetables.
The farm shop’s Facebook page states: “Very proud and honoured for Samuels to be selling as of this Friday G.W Frank’s 112 years own recipe sausage and pork pies.
You may also want to watch:
“The family want the tradition of G.W Frank’s to continue through us. I am so honoured to be doing this. We have had the family, some doing this recipe for over 45 years themselves today teaching myself and John there own special way. Can’t wait for you all to come and carry on a famous local tradition.”
A reviewer on ‘rate my sausage’ website tries to work out what secret ingredients make the Frank’s banger so special and concludes: “I am fairly certain that there must be some bacon included in these sausages. There was a rasher on the plate, but I could taste the Danish with the very first mouthful of banger. It worked well too, and the overall flavour was mild, with a very traditional, old-fashioned feeling. Very little seasoning or herbs and spices to tickle your taste-buds, but a nice, proper flavour that won’t disappoint you.”
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 3 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 4 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 5 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 6 Body found in Wisbech road
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 9 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
Continuing to describe the sausage’s texture the writer states: “You can see that these chaps look good before they even hit the frying pan, with a wealth of attractive multi-coloured speckles apparent under the casing. And when cooked and sliced, you can enjoy the coarse-chopped filling to the full. If you like your bangers smooth and uniform look elsewhere, every cut into Frank’s pork sausages gives you a different texture to savour.”
Thanks to Samuel’s Farm and Butcher’s Shop sausage ‘aficiandos’ can continue to enjoy a Frank’s banger.