Chatteris apprentice to take part in national welding competition
- Credit: Archant
A 17-year-old apprentice from Chatteris has been selected to take part in a national welding competition that could see him jet off to Shanghai.
Harry Jackson, who is a second-year apprentice at Stainless Metalcraft, was invited to take part in the WorldSkills UK Welding National Final in Birmingham.
He was chosen as the 'Wildcard' competitor after impressing judges when winning the regional semi-final.
While Harry will not be able to win a medal as a 'Wildcard' competitor, his invitation to take part in event tomorrow (November 21) means he is in with a chance of being selected for Squad UK.
They will go on to represent the UK at WorldSkills Shanghai in 2021.
You may also want to watch:
Harry said: "I'm really excited to be taking part in the national finals and to have the opportunity to perform alongside the very best young welders in the country.
"Winning the regional semi-final was a real boost to my confidence and I'm looking forward to gaining experience at the national finals and showing the industry judges what I can do."
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre