Chatteris apprentice to take part in national welding competition
- Credit: Archant
A 17-year-old apprentice from Chatteris has been selected to take part in a national welding competition that could see him jet off to Shanghai.
Harry Jackson, who is a second-year apprentice at Stainless Metalcraft, was invited to take part in the WorldSkills UK Welding National Final in Birmingham.
He was chosen as the 'Wildcard' competitor after impressing judges when winning the regional semi-final.
While Harry will not be able to win a medal as a 'Wildcard' competitor, his invitation to take part in event tomorrow (November 21) means he is in with a chance of being selected for Squad UK.
They will go on to represent the UK at WorldSkills Shanghai in 2021.
Harry said: "I'm really excited to be taking part in the national finals and to have the opportunity to perform alongside the very best young welders in the country.
"Winning the regional semi-final was a real boost to my confidence and I'm looking forward to gaining experience at the national finals and showing the industry judges what I can do."
- 1 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 5 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Could you give these pets a home?