Chatteris chippy Mark Petrou signs up as Fenland Business Awards sponsor
CHATTERIS chippy Mark Petrou has signed up to sponsor the New Business of the Year category at the 2010 Fenland Enterprise Business Awards.
Fish and chip champion Mark Petrou was born into the trade and got his first job with his father as a spud boy aged just 13.
In 1984 his father Stavros, who had a fish and chip shop in Ramsey, bought the shop in West Park Street, Chatteris which was to become the best chippy in the land and in which Mark invested 25 years of his life.
By 1987 Stavros had retired and the shop was taken over by Mark’s brother, Pete. Mark went off to college to do business studies but still managed to work in the shop at weekends and some evenings.
In 1993 the shop was renamed Petrou Brothers and after much hard work in 2007 they won the title of Fish and Chip Shop of the Year putting Chatteris on the map and making it a magnet for fish and chip lovers from all over the world.
You may also want to watch:
Since then Mark has opened other shops including at March and Ely and is an executive councillor for the National Federation of Fish Friers. He continues to fry in all his shops as often as possible.
Mark’s expertise has put him in contact with many celebrity chefs eager to learn his techniques and his vast knowledge is respected by all who know him.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 10 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
• Next week we are launching an exciting new competition with Mark Petrou so make sure you get a copy of your favourite weekly newspaper on August 20.