Chatteris chippy Mark Petrou signs up as Fenland Business Awards sponsor
CHATTERIS chippy Mark Petrou has signed up to sponsor the New Business of the Year category at the 2010 Fenland Enterprise Business Awards.
Fish and chip champion Mark Petrou was born into the trade and got his first job with his father as a spud boy aged just 13.
In 1984 his father Stavros, who had a fish and chip shop in Ramsey, bought the shop in West Park Street, Chatteris which was to become the best chippy in the land and in which Mark invested 25 years of his life.
By 1987 Stavros had retired and the shop was taken over by Mark’s brother, Pete. Mark went off to college to do business studies but still managed to work in the shop at weekends and some evenings.
In 1993 the shop was renamed Petrou Brothers and after much hard work in 2007 they won the title of Fish and Chip Shop of the Year putting Chatteris on the map and making it a magnet for fish and chip lovers from all over the world.
Since then Mark has opened other shops including at March and Ely and is an executive councillor for the National Federation of Fish Friers. He continues to fry in all his shops as often as possible.
Mark’s expertise has put him in contact with many celebrity chefs eager to learn his techniques and his vast knowledge is respected by all who know him.
- 1 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
• Next week we are launching an exciting new competition with Mark Petrou so make sure you get a copy of your favourite weekly newspaper on August 20.