Environment Agency search for tenants to take on exciting riverside business opportunity
AN EXCITING opportunity has arisen for a riverside business to help rejuvenate an area of the Fens.
The Environment Agency is looking for a tenant to take on a 2.4-acre site at Denver Lock, on the banks of the River Great Ouse near Downham Market.
The lock, well situated between Ely, Cambridgeshire, Downham Market and King’s Lynn, could be used for a variety of business including boat, canoe and cycle hire.
The site already has a picnic area, parking, toilet, pump-out facility, access to a public slipway and a landing stage with water-point.
Hilary Lockwood, of the Environment Agency’s Estates Team, said: “We are looking for a tenant to make best use of the site for the benefit of local people and visitors.
You may also want to watch:
“We realise there is potential to develop the site and we are offering the new tenant help in applying and bidding for funding.
“In addition, we could also offer off-road pedestrian and cycle access from Denver to Downham Market along the Relief Channel.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 8 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 9 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
“This represents a fantastic opportunity - to not only develop a successful business, but also to create an attractive riverside destination for local people and visitors alike.”
As well as boating facilities, the Denver Lock site also offers potential for a kiosk or caf� subject to planning consent.
Anyone interested in submitting a business proposal to take on the lease should contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506506 and ask for estates. Expressions of interest need to be submitted by 15 March.
More information on the River Great Ouse can be found by visiting www.visitanglianwaterways.co.uk and following the links.