Environment Agency search for tenants to take on exciting riverside business opportunity
AN EXCITING opportunity has arisen for a riverside business to help rejuvenate an area of the Fens.
The Environment Agency is looking for a tenant to take on a 2.4-acre site at Denver Lock, on the banks of the River Great Ouse near Downham Market.
The lock, well situated between Ely, Cambridgeshire, Downham Market and King’s Lynn, could be used for a variety of business including boat, canoe and cycle hire.
The site already has a picnic area, parking, toilet, pump-out facility, access to a public slipway and a landing stage with water-point.
Hilary Lockwood, of the Environment Agency’s Estates Team, said: “We are looking for a tenant to make best use of the site for the benefit of local people and visitors.
“We realise there is potential to develop the site and we are offering the new tenant help in applying and bidding for funding.
“In addition, we could also offer off-road pedestrian and cycle access from Denver to Downham Market along the Relief Channel.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 7 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 8 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
- 9 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
“This represents a fantastic opportunity - to not only develop a successful business, but also to create an attractive riverside destination for local people and visitors alike.”
As well as boating facilities, the Denver Lock site also offers potential for a kiosk or caf� subject to planning consent.
Anyone interested in submitting a business proposal to take on the lease should contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506506 and ask for estates. Expressions of interest need to be submitted by 15 March.
More information on the River Great Ouse can be found by visiting www.visitanglianwaterways.co.uk and following the links.