Broadband scheme still accepting applications from rural areas
- Credit: Image by Karolina Grabowska from Pixabay.
A broadband scheme which has helped hundreds of businesses and homes get faster and more reliable internet is still accepting new applications.
While the first wave of the Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme has closed, funds are still available to improve connectivity for those in rural areas.
This second wave will remain open for new applications until March 31, 2021 or until the £200m funding for the Rural Gigabit Connectivity programme runs out.
To date, 421 small and medium-sized businesses across Cambridgeshire have applied for the vouchers.
It means £668,000 has gone towards the cost of installing gigabit-capable broadband which can handle speeds of 1,000 Megabits per second.
You may also want to watch:
Users only sign up to speeds they can afford and can choose to pay for more speed as required.
Rural premises with broadband speeds of less than 100 Megabits per second can pool the vouchers worth up to £3,500 for each SME and up to £1,500 per residential premise to support the cost of increasing their broadband speeds.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 8 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 9 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 10 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
Connecting Cambridgeshire, led Cambridgeshire County Council, is promoting the scheme on behalf of the Government “as an incentive to SMEs and homeowners to upgrade their broadband connection, at little or no cost, for installation of faster, more reliable service”.
For more information and to check if you are eligible visit the Gigabit Voucher website.