Broadband scheme still accepting applications from rural areas
- Credit: Image by Karolina Grabowska from Pixabay.
A broadband scheme which has helped hundreds of businesses and homes get faster and more reliable internet is still accepting new applications.
While the first wave of the Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme has closed, funds are still available to improve connectivity for those in rural areas.
This second wave will remain open for new applications until March 31, 2021 or until the £200m funding for the Rural Gigabit Connectivity programme runs out.
To date, 421 small and medium-sized businesses across Cambridgeshire have applied for the vouchers.
It means £668,000 has gone towards the cost of installing gigabit-capable broadband which can handle speeds of 1,000 Megabits per second.
You may also want to watch:
Users only sign up to speeds they can afford and can choose to pay for more speed as required.
Rural premises with broadband speeds of less than 100 Megabits per second can pool the vouchers worth up to £3,500 for each SME and up to £1,500 per residential premise to support the cost of increasing their broadband speeds.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
Connecting Cambridgeshire, led Cambridgeshire County Council, is promoting the scheme on behalf of the Government “as an incentive to SMEs and homeowners to upgrade their broadband connection, at little or no cost, for installation of faster, more reliable service”.
For more information and to check if you are eligible visit the Gigabit Voucher website.