Garden centre’s in-store restaurant beats Harrods to top national design award
A GARDEN centre has beaten Harrods to win a top national design award for its in-store restaurant.
The Van Hage Garden Centre’s eatery at Peterborough Garden Park pipped two Harrods in-store restaurants, Caffe Florian and Frescobaldi, to collect the coveted Retail Week Interiors’ Award for the Best In-Store Restaurant of the Year.
The 50,000 sq ft garden centre, designed by Southampton firm HPW, features a Himalayan coffee bar with a central stone cairn and a cloud of prayer flags.
The restaurant creates atmosphere with growing bamboo screens and mobiles of autumn leaved branches.
Gary Wilburn, HPW director, said: “This is the best recognition we could get for our work offering innovative, simple, attractive and affordable design.
“We have a passion for the environment and have show how we can minimise impact while creating a successful business. We are delighted to have had our work recognised in this way.”
The garden centre was also highly commended in the Best Edge-of-Town/Out-of-Town Store award category.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge