Hundreds of jobs at risk as Peterborough-based firm Redring Xpelair announces plans to close
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs at a Cambridgeshire manufacturer are at risk after company bosses confirmed it plans on closing its city site.
Redring Xpelair on Newcombe Way, Peterborough, today (July 13) told staff that it plans on closing the firm’s manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities in January.
A spokesman said: “The proposal would see the closure and relocation of Peterborough-based manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities from January 2018.
“The decision comes as part of a wide-scale restructuring of the division to address business opportunities within the UK and throughout international markets across the heating and ventilation sector.
“The proposal would affect 150 permanent employees based in Peterborough within Redring Xpelair Group. The company is committed to supporting any employees affected by this decision. It is consulting with Trade Unions over the proposed closure and where possible, employees will be offered alternative positions at other GDHV locations.”
You may also want to watch:
The firm is also believed to employ up to 250 temporary staff, who will also be affected. If the proposal goes ahead, production will be moved to GDHV’s base in Dunleer, County Louth, with warehousing relocated to Burnley.
Office functions will be split between Dunleer and Southampton.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 5 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
Nitin Patel, CEO of the Redring Xpelair Group, said: “Business decisions that directly impact the lives of our employees are extraordinarily difficult.
“This action is necessary, however, for the long-term health and competitiveness of GDHV and the Redring and Xpelair brands.”
Redring Xpelair specialises in water heaters and ventilation.