Hundreds of jobs at risk as Peterborough-based firm Redring Xpelair announces plans to close
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs at a Cambridgeshire manufacturer are at risk after company bosses confirmed it plans on closing its city site.
Redring Xpelair on Newcombe Way, Peterborough, today (July 13) told staff that it plans on closing the firm’s manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities in January.
A spokesman said: “The proposal would see the closure and relocation of Peterborough-based manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities from January 2018.
“The decision comes as part of a wide-scale restructuring of the division to address business opportunities within the UK and throughout international markets across the heating and ventilation sector.
“The proposal would affect 150 permanent employees based in Peterborough within Redring Xpelair Group. The company is committed to supporting any employees affected by this decision. It is consulting with Trade Unions over the proposed closure and where possible, employees will be offered alternative positions at other GDHV locations.”
The firm is also believed to employ up to 250 temporary staff, who will also be affected. If the proposal goes ahead, production will be moved to GDHV’s base in Dunleer, County Louth, with warehousing relocated to Burnley.
Office functions will be split between Dunleer and Southampton.
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 4 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 5 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 6 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 7 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 8 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 9 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 10 Improve your selfies and photographs by joining new group
Nitin Patel, CEO of the Redring Xpelair Group, said: “Business decisions that directly impact the lives of our employees are extraordinarily difficult.
“This action is necessary, however, for the long-term health and competitiveness of GDHV and the Redring and Xpelair brands.”
Redring Xpelair specialises in water heaters and ventilation.