Hundreds of jobs at risk as Peterborough-based firm Redring Xpelair announces plans to close
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs at a Cambridgeshire manufacturer are at risk after company bosses confirmed it plans on closing its city site.
Redring Xpelair on Newcombe Way, Peterborough, today (July 13) told staff that it plans on closing the firm’s manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities in January.
A spokesman said: “The proposal would see the closure and relocation of Peterborough-based manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities from January 2018.
“The decision comes as part of a wide-scale restructuring of the division to address business opportunities within the UK and throughout international markets across the heating and ventilation sector.
“The proposal would affect 150 permanent employees based in Peterborough within Redring Xpelair Group. The company is committed to supporting any employees affected by this decision. It is consulting with Trade Unions over the proposed closure and where possible, employees will be offered alternative positions at other GDHV locations.”
You may also want to watch:
The firm is also believed to employ up to 250 temporary staff, who will also be affected. If the proposal goes ahead, production will be moved to GDHV’s base in Dunleer, County Louth, with warehousing relocated to Burnley.
Office functions will be split between Dunleer and Southampton.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 8 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
Nitin Patel, CEO of the Redring Xpelair Group, said: “Business decisions that directly impact the lives of our employees are extraordinarily difficult.
“This action is necessary, however, for the long-term health and competitiveness of GDHV and the Redring and Xpelair brands.”
Redring Xpelair specialises in water heaters and ventilation.