Hundreds of jobs at risk as Peterborough-based firm Redring Xpelair announces plans to close
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs at a Cambridgeshire manufacturer are at risk after company bosses confirmed it plans on closing its city site.
Redring Xpelair on Newcombe Way, Peterborough, today (July 13) told staff that it plans on closing the firm’s manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities in January.
A spokesman said: “The proposal would see the closure and relocation of Peterborough-based manufacturing, distribution, warehousing and office facilities from January 2018.
“The decision comes as part of a wide-scale restructuring of the division to address business opportunities within the UK and throughout international markets across the heating and ventilation sector.
“The proposal would affect 150 permanent employees based in Peterborough within Redring Xpelair Group. The company is committed to supporting any employees affected by this decision. It is consulting with Trade Unions over the proposed closure and where possible, employees will be offered alternative positions at other GDHV locations.”
The firm is also believed to employ up to 250 temporary staff, who will also be affected. If the proposal goes ahead, production will be moved to GDHV’s base in Dunleer, County Louth, with warehousing relocated to Burnley.
Office functions will be split between Dunleer and Southampton.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 10 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
Nitin Patel, CEO of the Redring Xpelair Group, said: “Business decisions that directly impact the lives of our employees are extraordinarily difficult.
“This action is necessary, however, for the long-term health and competitiveness of GDHV and the Redring and Xpelair brands.”
Redring Xpelair specialises in water heaters and ventilation.