First look inside new Tesco discount chain Jack’s
- Credit: Archant
The official launch of Tesco’s new discount store Jack’s is happening in Chatteris today.
The world’s media have gathered at the site where chief executive Dave Lewis will be speaking about the store which is set to rival the likes of Aldi and Lidl.
The Chatteris store will be the first to open to the public tomorrow morning under the new brand.
It was reported in July that Tesco was close to launching the chain of discount stores in Britain called Jack’s, after Jack Cohen, who founded a business in 1919 that became Tesco.
Jack’s will be the first store of its kind by the retailer who is using part of the mothballed site where they once proposed a superstore with up to 250 jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Since the company pulled back on opening it three years ago, part of the store has been rented out to Poundstretcher with the residual 26,500 sq ft of space left vacant.
Reporters Harry Rutter and Kath Sansom will be bringing updates from the site throughout this morning.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 5 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 6 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 7 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 8 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down