First look inside new Tesco discount chain Jack’s
- Credit: Archant
The official launch of Tesco’s new discount store Jack’s is happening in Chatteris today.
The world’s media have gathered at the site where chief executive Dave Lewis will be speaking about the store which is set to rival the likes of Aldi and Lidl.
The Chatteris store will be the first to open to the public tomorrow morning under the new brand.
It was reported in July that Tesco was close to launching the chain of discount stores in Britain called Jack’s, after Jack Cohen, who founded a business in 1919 that became Tesco.
Jack’s will be the first store of its kind by the retailer who is using part of the mothballed site where they once proposed a superstore with up to 250 jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Since the company pulled back on opening it three years ago, part of the store has been rented out to Poundstretcher with the residual 26,500 sq ft of space left vacant.
Reporters Harry Rutter and Kath Sansom will be bringing updates from the site throughout this morning.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 6 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy