First look inside new Tesco discount chain Jack’s
- Credit: Archant
The official launch of Tesco’s new discount store Jack’s is happening in Chatteris today.
The world’s media have gathered at the site where chief executive Dave Lewis will be speaking about the store which is set to rival the likes of Aldi and Lidl.
The Chatteris store will be the first to open to the public tomorrow morning under the new brand.
It was reported in July that Tesco was close to launching the chain of discount stores in Britain called Jack’s, after Jack Cohen, who founded a business in 1919 that became Tesco.
Jack’s will be the first store of its kind by the retailer who is using part of the mothballed site where they once proposed a superstore with up to 250 jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Since the company pulled back on opening it three years ago, part of the store has been rented out to Poundstretcher with the residual 26,500 sq ft of space left vacant.
Reporters Harry Rutter and Kath Sansom will be bringing updates from the site throughout this morning.
- 1 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 2 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 3 Rob's 'walk of thanks' for Magpas Air Ambulance
- 4 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 5 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 6 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 7 Depleted Bears fight back to earn friendly victory
- 8 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
- 9 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 10 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden