Littleport bar becomes dark horse of the pub trade
A DARK horse of the pub trade confounded landlords’ expectations by opening up a new riverside venue.
Entrepreneur Dr Mike Walker revamped the old Black Horse public house in Littleport to create a new waterside restaurant with 70 metres of picturesque riverbank gardens.
Undeterred by stories of pubs closing every week due to financial pressure, he has renamed the bar The Swan to ensure punters keep their local watering hole intact.
And he hopes to do his bit for Littleport’s enterprise community by creating a perfect atmosphere at the side of the River Ouse where executives can do business.
In addition he wants to boost marine tourism in the village by tempting boaters to stop at the venue in Sandhill, Littleport for a tasty snack or a full course meal.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Walker said: “In these economically hard times, the opening of a new restaurant makes good news.”
Many pubs have been forced to embrace families and create facilities for young children to survive the recession and its aftermath.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
But Dr Walker promises: “The Swan will be an ideal meeting place where local businesses can meet and greet customers an be sure of creating a good impression.”
He hopes to drum up extra revenue by targeting ambitious professionals and helping to fuel the Ely and Fenland economy.
The Riverside Restaurant is designed for more formal occasions whereas the Yacht Club bar caters for people with traditional British pub food tastes.
For more information visit the website www.swanrestaurant.co.uk.