Littleport bar becomes dark horse of the pub trade
A DARK horse of the pub trade confounded landlords’ expectations by opening up a new riverside venue.
Entrepreneur Dr Mike Walker revamped the old Black Horse public house in Littleport to create a new waterside restaurant with 70 metres of picturesque riverbank gardens.
Undeterred by stories of pubs closing every week due to financial pressure, he has renamed the bar The Swan to ensure punters keep their local watering hole intact.
And he hopes to do his bit for Littleport’s enterprise community by creating a perfect atmosphere at the side of the River Ouse where executives can do business.
In addition he wants to boost marine tourism in the village by tempting boaters to stop at the venue in Sandhill, Littleport for a tasty snack or a full course meal.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Walker said: “In these economically hard times, the opening of a new restaurant makes good news.”
Many pubs have been forced to embrace families and create facilities for young children to survive the recession and its aftermath.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 10 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
But Dr Walker promises: “The Swan will be an ideal meeting place where local businesses can meet and greet customers an be sure of creating a good impression.”
He hopes to drum up extra revenue by targeting ambitious professionals and helping to fuel the Ely and Fenland economy.
The Riverside Restaurant is designed for more formal occasions whereas the Yacht Club bar caters for people with traditional British pub food tastes.
For more information visit the website www.swanrestaurant.co.uk.