Pike Textiles appeals for Wisbech workers to come out of retirement
A MANUFACTURER has launched an appeal for experienced older workers to come out of retirement.
Pike Textile Display has called on factory workers to dust off their overalls to help it cope with busy periods.
The Wisbech firm produces fabric, wallpaper and window blind display books for shops such as John Lewis and often needs batches of temporary workers to deal with the rush.
Managing director Jon Allen believes knowledgeable old-handers available at short notice could be a reliable and trustworthy addition to the team.
Mr Allen said: “More people are very healthy into old age so we think retired people might suit.
You may also want to watch:
“Lots of jobs need to have some experienced people. If you have to spend time training people then the business cannot always be as responsive.
“If there are some experienced people locally, it could suit them to work a few weeks at a time and allow us be much more competitive.”
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 7 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
Pike Textile Display was set up 100 years ago and moved to Wisbech in 1973. It has 80 permanent staff but often needs temporary workers to help cope with its busy periods - from January to March and from August to September - when it produces fabric catalogues for the new calendar seasons.
But that costs the business time and money because workers have to be trained for short-term contracts. They then leave and often never return.
The aim is to get people on their books who can be available as and when they are needed over a long period of time.
For more information, contact Pike Textile Display on 01945 461361 or visit www.pike-textiles.com