Chatteris ready to relive the classic song ‘Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, get off your back, Come into town, don’t let us down, oh no no’.....
- Credit: Archant
It is one of the country’s worst kept secrets but Tesco is still trying to keep some parts of their proposals under wraps as they trial a new discount store with a launch in Chatteris.
Jack’s will be the first store of its kind by the retailer who is using part of the mothballed site where they once proposed a superstore with up to 250 jobs.
Since the company pulled back on opening it three years ago, part of the store has been rented out to Poundstretcher with the residual 26,500 sq ft of space left vacant.
Earlier this year we revealed Chatteris was to become a guinea pig for a new discount brand from Tesco to take on the likes of Lidl and Aldi.
Those reports are now confirmed with Jack’s, named after Jack Cohen who opened his first store in 1919 that later became Tesco.
You may also want to watch:
Clive Black at Shore Capital told the BBC: “Jack’s, if we are correct, also represents Tesco firmly moving on, coming out of ‘fix’ mode and being more creative, innovative and ... on the front foot.”
Natalie Berg of NBK Retail: “It’s no easy feat to establish in a crowded and cut-throat market, but it’s now so competitive that retailers are being forced to think outside the box.
- 1 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 2 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 3 Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- 4 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 5 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 6 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 7 Plans for multi-million pound training school given green light
- 8 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 9 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Grandmother crochets 'worry worms' for children to find
“The only way to compete with the discounters is by becoming one.”
Meanwhile the Chatteris ‘dome’ is expected to be unveiled at around 11am next Wednesday.