Toys R Us returns 2022: Is the chain coming back to Cambridgeshire?
- Credit: Terry Harris
Toys R Us is set to return to the UK this year after a four-year hiatus.
The international toyshop chain, which had stores in Peterborough and Cambridge, is set for a comeback in 2022.
The much-loved shop disappeared from British retail parks in 2018, when the company fell into administration and was forced to close its stores.
But according to industry magazine Toy World, the brand is just months away from re-launching.
A statement on the Toys R Us website reads: "We can't wait to see you again.
"We're back in 2022!
"Tell your family...
"Tell your friends...
- 1 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
The chain used to have a Toys R Us and Babies R Us store at The Beehive Centre near Newmarket Road, Cambridge.
It has since become a Wren Kitchens showroom.
There was also a store on Bourges Boulevard in Peterborough.
A blaze destroyed the building in April 2019, when Toys R Us had already closed down.
The shop front collapsed and at the time, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said that flames were seen going through the roof.
It is not yet known whether Cambridgeshire will get any new stores.
Toys R Us Australia and New Zealand has signed an exclusive deal to run the brand's "digital and physical retail commerce" in the UK.
It has even begun singing new recruits, including three new executive team members, to lead the Toys R Us re-launch.