Businessman describes the moment a car narrowly missed him and two others and ploughed into shop
- Credit: Archant
A SHOP owner has described how a car missed him and two by-standers by inches this morning before crashing into his business.
The red Skoda Octavia smashed into the side of Mildenhall Carpet and Flooring on the High Street at around 9am.
Police were called and structural engineers will assess the damage.
Shop owner Colin Bailey, 56, was standing outside with two other people when the saloon car came between them, hitting the brick wall on one side of the business.
He said: “We had just loaded the van up and were sorting a job out for next week.
You may also want to watch:
“I was standing on the edge of the pavement and a car came between us and smashed into the wall.
“I was about two feet away. We are lucky overall because no-one is seriously hurt.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
He added: “It is not a dangerous road and we are not on a sharp bend. I was in absolute disbelief and shock.”
The woman driving the car was helped out by passers-by and an ambulance was called, although she was not seriously injured.
Mr Bailey said he did not know for how long the shop would be closed.