Cricket club in March welcome new members, educate over 200 pupils about the sport and receive new benches for the season
- Credit: Submitted
It’s been a busy week for members of a March cricket club who educated pupils about the sport, received new picnic benches and opened their doors to new members.
Welcomed with a glass of wine, over 80 people attended the opening event at the March Town Cricket Club, opened by Pat Ringham, club president last Friday (May 4).
The club’s pavilion was home to an ‘excellent buffet’ served up by members Catherine Henshaw, Karen West and Angie Kenning.
Les Mills, club chairman, thanked everyone for attending including the group’s new sponsors, Cambridge-based insurance brokers Hugo Wright Ltd.
The open evening comes after the club received five new picnic benches for the new cricket season thanks to England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) funding of over £1,800.
You may also want to watch:
On Thursday May 3 the club held an ‘All Stars Cricket’ taster day which saw over 200 March pupils take part in the sport.
It was a flavour of what’s to come in the ECB initiative that aims to provide pupils aged five to eight a great first experience in cricket.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 8 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
The eight weekly one-hour sessions start on Sunday May 20, 10am to 11am, in March and Wednesday May 23 from 6pm to 7pm in Doddington.
For more information, visit: www.allstarscricket.co.uk