Cadet Sergeant from Ely will set sail on the high seas this summer around The Scottish Isles
- Credit: Archant
A Cadet Sergeant from Ely is about to sail away on a prestigious residential project.
Emily Pieters of 1094 (City of Ely) Squadron will sail on the high seas for her Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
Emily has won a place on the West Coast Challenge Offshore Sailing Expedition this August sailing around The Scottish Isles.
She will be sailing on-board the Ocean Youth Trust Scotland (OYTS) yacht, Alba Venturer, an ocean-going 72 foot long yacht equipped to operate as a sail training vessel.
The crew includes a fully qualified, skipper, first mate, second mate, third mate and bosun.
You may also want to watch:
They will direct and oversee all the work on board gradually developing the cadets skills and understanding.
It means that as the voyage progresses they will take greater responsibility for the day-to-day functioning of the vessel.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
By the end of the voyage the cadets should feel confident in tasks such as helming, navigating and setting the sails. It should be possible for all those cadets on board to achieve their Royal Yachting Association Competent Crew certificate.
Emily took part in a national selection with Air Cadets from all over the UK applying. She will be attending with a dozen cadets from Squadrons up and down the country.
The Squadron meets every Monday and Thursday night 7.30pm to 9.30pm at The Cadet Centre, Heaton Drive, Ely, CB7 4RS (behind Ely Hospital).
For further information email: firstname.lastname@example.org