Calls for cycleway linking Chatteris and Mepal
- Credit: Archant
An MP and councillor are pushing for a new cycleway linking Chatteris with Mepal.
MP Steve Barclay and Chatteris Councillor Florence Newell believe a cycleway should be one of planning conditions imposed on an energy company if they are given the green light to build a gas pipeline.
Pretoria Energy Ltd have submitted an application to lay the pipeline from its anaerobic digester at Mepal to Chatteris.
Mr Barclay said: “I am working with Councillor Newell to make a case that if the pipeline goes ahead then there is a requirement for a cycle lane to be built on top of it along its whole length.
“The decision on whether or not the application is approved lies with councillors.
You may also want to watch:
“However if they choose to approve the pipeline then I am urging them to link any such approval to include a requirement for a cycleway, which will safely open up the countryside for cyclists.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle