Beast of the East misses much of East Cambridgeshire and Fenland - only school in the Fens closes because of weather
- Credit: Archant
Fenland and East Cambridgeshire appear to have escaped – so far- the worst affects of the ‘Beast from the East’.
Meadowgate Academy in Wisbech is the only school in Cambridgeshire, according to the county council, to close because of the weather.
The Met Office meanwhile has issued a succession of amber and yellow warnings for snow for the East of England.
Accidents reported to Cambridgeshire police include a motor cyclist who came to grief during an incident near the Tesco entrance at Westry, March.
The A47 was also closed in BOTH directions at Wansford whilst police, ambulance and fire deal with an incident.
You may also want to watch:
Lincolnshire Police said at 6.30am they were already dealing with four collisions.
And between midnight and 10am today Norfolk Police had received 116 weather-related calls.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
Out of those calls, seven were because of injuries from road traffic collisions, 14 were damage only incidents and 13 were because of highway obstructions.
Cambs Police said those travelling in snow should “try to keep journeys to a minimum, ensure your journey is essential, clear all the snow from your car including the roof, keep your distance from other road users and leave in plenty of time”.
The Cambridgeshire Commissioning Group warned “Take care if you’re out and about in #Cambridgeshire #Peterborough - slips, trips, and falls are snow joke”.