Cambridgeshire crime detective who helped catch serial killer Joanne Dennehy wins prestigious award
- Credit: Archant
A major crime detective who helped bring triple murderer Joanne Dennehy to justice has been named as the Senior Investigating Officer of the year.
Detective Chief Inspector Martin Brunning of the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit was selected as the 2014 Senior Investigating Officer award for his work on Operation Darcy - the triple murderer Joanne Dennehy, and Operation Quantify - the kidnap and murder of Peterborough mum Vitalija Baliutaviciene.
DCI Brunning was presented at the ACPO SIO Homicide Conference by Chief Constable David Crompton, chair of the Homicide Working Group in Leeds.
Detective Superintendent Paul Fullwood said: “Martin was the Senior Investigating Officer for these investigations which both attracted significant organisational learning and public interest.
“For two consecutive years, Martin has been recognised by colleagues at the Police Federation National Detective Awards Gala for his service as an outstanding SIO and has been commended for both investigations in court.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a consummate professional and has been an instrumental figure in professionalising major crime investigation.
“He has been involved in this work for several years and has been a key figure in harmonising major crime practices as Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire collaborated their major crime functions.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
“Martin is an exceptional, competent and highly professional Senior Investigating Officer who displays leadership, tenacity and detective skills that many could only hope to reach. It is fitting that he has been rewarded for his work in this way.” DCI Brunning said: “This award is for a very big team of total professionals I work with who do truly inspirational things in the investigation of the worst types of crime.
“This is recognition of all their hard work – SIOs have to have the best people around them, I’m very proud of the Major Crime Unit team we have.”