Chimney blaze at a March home prompts call to keep chimneys swept regularly
- Credit: CAMBS FIRE
People are being warned to make sure their chimneys are swept regularly to prevent fires following a blaze at a home in March.
Fire crew worked through the night to extinguish a chimney fire at a home in Whittlesey Road.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Please ensure you get your chimney swept regularly and brickwork inspected at least once a year to help prevent a chimney fire.”
On Tuesday (29) at 11.35pm, two crews from March and one crew from Stanground were called to the fire.
Crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming out of the property and neighbouring roof.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters used small gear and rods to extinguish the fire.
All crews returned to their stations by 4.10pm.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
Sweeping chimneys removes the dust, debris, cobwebs, bird nests and other items that fall into chimneys that could be ignited by a stray spark.
If people burn unseasoned or wet wood there is a risk of tar and creosote building up inside the chimney.