Cambridgeshire fire stations testing pensioners’ electric blankets for free
- Credit: Archant
PENSIONERS can have their electric blankets safety tested by experts for free at fire stations across Cambridgeshire.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) and Age UK Cambridge, the charity, are running the testing days.
Qualified engineers will be on hand to check the safety of the electic blankets and those that fail will be disposed of and replaced with a new one.
Wendy Coleman, community risk manager at CFRS, said: “As temperatures threaten to drop in the remaining winter months, many residents will be dusting off electric blankets to stay warm at night.
“However, electric blankets contain heating elements that can be dangerous if broken or allowed to overheat.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re keen to support this scheme with Age Uk as it’s a great opportunity for residents to be safe and get expert free prevention advice.
“Our Community Champions will also be on hand to provide tips to residents about electric blankets.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 9 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 10 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
Testing days will take place between 10am-4pm at Papworth Fire Station on January 14, Littleport Fire Station on January 15, Ramsey Fire Station on January 21 and March Fire Station on January 22.
To book a slot please contact Age UK at 01354 696650.