Cambridgeshire house blaze sparks reminder of dangers of mirrors in sunlight after curtains catch fire causing ‘extensive damage’
- Credit: Archant
A mirror left on a windowsill caused extensive damage to of a house in Cambridgeshire on Tuesday after sunlight bounced off it and set fire to nearby curtains.
“There was a mirror in the room where the fire started that was facing towards the window,” said Cambridge Fire Station watch commander Richard Powell.
“The sun was beating through the window and bounced off the mirror which set fire to the curtains.”
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has since urged homeowners to be aware of the potential hazards of everyday household items following the incident at a two-story home in Bolsham.
Two crews from Cambridge, including an aerial Multistar appliance, were called to the fire just after 3.30pm along with an appliance from Newmarket and Haverhill.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters used the Multistar to access the fire in the roof. Crews wearing specialist breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.
They returned to their stations an hour later.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
The blaze follows a similar incident in January where a vanity mirror left on the windowsill of a dressing room in Witchford set fire to two wooden jewellery boxes. The fire then spread to the windowsill and smashed the glass.
Commander Kevin Napier, head of community fire safety, said: “As the warmer weather starts to appear and we are experiencing longer summer days, please ensure that reflective everyday objects in your home are not left in direct sunlight - especially during the day when you may be out and therefore unable to react to any incident until it has progressed significantly and caused a fire.”