Cambridgeshire Living Sports award winners announced
- Credit: Archant
Cambridgeshire’s sporting heroes were recognised at the Living Sports Awards yesterday.
Ten awards were handed out to sportsmen and women, coaches, volunteers, organisations and clubs from across the county at a lavish ceremony at Burgess Hall, St Ives.
Winners this year include Rob Huff, British Racing Car driver and 2012 FIA World Touring Car Champion, who was awarded the coveted Sports Performer of the Year.
Lauren Steadman, Para Triathlete and Paralympian, who was chosen as Sports Performer with a Disability after winning gold in the 2013 ETU Paratriathlon European Championships.
Former March Town Cricket Club president and Cambridgeshire Cricket Board pitch inspector Mel Pooley, of Doddington, was nominated for Services to Sport but the award to Sharyn Bord, of Cambridge Diving Club.
You may also want to watch:
There was also disappointment for Paralympic wheelchair basketball player Sarah Grady, of Stretham, who was up for Sports Performer with a Disability of the Year.
Volunteer Jamie Loades, of Sutton, missed out to Samuel Carrington in the young community volunteer of the year category.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Mark Vile, of Burwell, who coaches at Cambridge and Coleridge Athletics Club, was pipped by Tony Fagelman, of Cambridge Cangaroos Trampolining Club, as Coach of the Year.
Simon Fairhall, chief executive of Living Sport, said: “The evening was a fantastic celebration of community sport and it was great to see so many individuals involved in sport from the entire county come together to recognise the achievements of our winners.
“I’d particularly like to thank all of the sponsors for their support in helping us deliver another memorable awards ceremony this year.”
A full list of award recipients is available at http://www.livingsport.co.uk/our-projects/living-sport-sports-awards/2013-winners/