Cambridgeshire man lands £170,000 with £1 accumulator bet on the football -less than a week after he opened William Hill account
- Credit: Archant
A 33 year old man from Cambridgeshire has struck it lucky with just his eighth ever bet by turning £1 into nearly £170,000 on the football today - in the process landing the second biggest odds in history at William Hill.
The gentleman, who wishes to remain anonymous placed a £1 10 team accumulator on Saturday morning before heading out with his family for the day.
“It wasn’t until I got back home from the park that I checked my account and saw how much I had won,” said the man who didn’t even know that it was a 101st minute winner by Dean Cox for Leyton Orient that had scooped the incredible win.
His William Hill account was set up on February 7 and was intended to be a bit of fun and a way of potentially earning a bit of cash for his five month old son’s future.
“My partner and I had a son five months ago and last week we set up a William Hill account and deposited £20. The intention was to place two £1 bets every so often on the football and any winnings would go into a savings account for him. We have only placed eight bets. We will certainly be giving him a large chunk towards his future but we also plan to buy a house with some of the winnings as well.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for William Hill said “a few years ago, we had a Maltese punter who turned €1 into over €500,000 and this guy, with his incredible win, has moved into second place on our list of biggest ever football winners.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
23/10 Sheffield United
5/2 Leyton Orient
16/5 Port Vale