Cambridgeshire man lands £170,000 with £1 accumulator bet on the football -less than a week after he opened William Hill account
- Credit: Archant
A 33 year old man from Cambridgeshire has struck it lucky with just his eighth ever bet by turning £1 into nearly £170,000 on the football today - in the process landing the second biggest odds in history at William Hill.
The gentleman, who wishes to remain anonymous placed a £1 10 team accumulator on Saturday morning before heading out with his family for the day.
“It wasn’t until I got back home from the park that I checked my account and saw how much I had won,” said the man who didn’t even know that it was a 101st minute winner by Dean Cox for Leyton Orient that had scooped the incredible win.
His William Hill account was set up on February 7 and was intended to be a bit of fun and a way of potentially earning a bit of cash for his five month old son’s future.
“My partner and I had a son five months ago and last week we set up a William Hill account and deposited £20. The intention was to place two £1 bets every so often on the football and any winnings would go into a savings account for him. We have only placed eight bets. We will certainly be giving him a large chunk towards his future but we also plan to buy a house with some of the winnings as well.”
A spokesman for William Hill said “a few years ago, we had a Maltese punter who turned €1 into over €500,000 and this guy, with his incredible win, has moved into second place on our list of biggest ever football winners.”
- 1 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 2 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 3 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 4 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 5 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 8 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 9 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 10 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
23/10 Sheffield United
5/2 Leyton Orient
16/5 Port Vale