Cambridgeshire nurse completes treks across the world to raise �38,000 for Breast Cancer Care
A NURSE at Hinchingbrooke Hospital has raised a staggering �38,000 for Breast Cancer Care after completing a host of marathon treks, cycle rides and moutain climbs across the world.
Since 2004, Lorraine Walker has run the New York marathon, hiked across Peru and Patagonia, scaled mountains in Nepal, cycled from Vietnam to Cambodia and trekked through Brazil.
The breast cancer nurse at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust is now preparing for her next challenge - another trek across Iceland.
Miss Walker said: “The most difficult challenge has been the cycle from Vietnam to Cambodia. It was over 100 degree heat and I hadn’t done any serious cycling before. It nearly killed me and it was both the worst and best thing that I have done so far.
“For each challenge I undertake I always pay for the fees myself, so that all the monies raised go directly to the charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Miss Walker, a breast cancer nurse at Hinchingbrooke for nearly 20 years, began fundraising after a close friend was diagnosed with the illness when she was 26.
The money raised has been used to provide valuable free services for women and their families.
- 1 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 2 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 3 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 4 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 5 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 6 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 7 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 10 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
Another fundraising event - an Irish night and hog roast - will take place at Glebe Farm, King’s Ripton, at 7pm. Irish musicians Black Velvet Band will provide live music.
Miss Walker said: “This event will be a great opportunity to raise money for Breast Cancer Care and it is something that we are really looking forward to.
“The charity offers much needed support to sufferers of breast cancer and any money that we can raise will be hugely appreciated.”
Tickets cost �17 and are available from Lorraine Walker by calling 01480 363516 or 01480 497168.