Cambridgeshire’s elite young sportsmen to battle it out with school pride at stake
- Credit: Archant
Cambridgeshire’s most talented young sportsmen will be pitted against eachother when they represent their schools at sports festivals next year.
They will take part in two Sainsbury’s School Games Festivals, which will be the culmination of year-round competitions within schools and between schools, with the elite athletes progressing to compete across more than 30 sports including athletics, hockey, netball, rowing and rugby union.
Festival organisers LOC have received £45,000 of National Lottery funding from Sport England to help them run the events.
Suzanne Glavin, of Sport England, said: “The Sainsbury’s School Games Festivals play a critical role in inspiring a generation of youngsters to play sport by providing them with opportunities to take part in competitive school sport.
“It also introduces talented athletes to high level competition, and with the help of the sport governing bodies, they are supported and signposted to further opportunities to compete and develop their talent.
You may also want to watch:
“We are delighted to award this funding to Cambridgeshire & Peterborough and would like to thank them for the work they do in making these events happen.”
Sir Harry Smith College headteacher Jonathan Digby is also the chair of festival organisers LOC in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
He said: “As a local headteacher and chair of the LOC, I am delighted that funding to deliver these inspiring county festivals has been confirmed again for this year.
“The funding for these events will help continue the positive opportunities that all young people and schools receive from the Sainsbury’s School Games experience.”
The Sainsbury’s School Games Level 3 Festivals in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough will take place on Friday March 28 and Friday June 27 2014.
For more information visit www.livingsport.co.uk/our-projects/sainsburys-school-games or www.yourschoolgames.com