Justice catches up with man, 62, who raped a child 20 years ago
- Credit: Archant
A man who raped a girl 20 years ago has been jailed.
James McClennon, 62, of Manor Close, Wittering was found guilty of two counts of raping a child under 13 and three counts of indecent assault on a girl under 14 at Peterborough Crown Court yesterday (15 May).
Today, (16 May) Judge Lowe sentenced him to 17 years in prison as well as a further year on licence.
The court heard how it took McClennon’s victim years to build up the courage to report the incidents to police after he convinced her that no one would believe her and told her it was ‘their secret’.
The abuse began in 1997 in Peterborough and continued for about two years while the victim was aged between 10 and 12. On two occasions McClennon used sleeping pills to drug his victim before abusing her.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Lisa Winterburn said: “The victim was very brave in coming forward to the police. Regardless of the passage of time, we will always take reports of child sex abuse very seriously.”
For information and advice, including how to report recent and historical sexual abuse, visit www.cambs.police.uk/childprotection. If you are worried about a child, call us on 101, or if you think a child is at immediate risk of abuse call 999.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k