Cambs Fire Service warns residents to stop festive cheer going up in smoke
FIREFIGHTERS are warning Cambridgeshire residents to think about fire safety this Christmas.
Last December there were 31 accidental house fires, including a fire at a home caused by Christmas decorations, and an elderly man who died in a kitchen fire in Boxworth.
Many people are unaware of the fire hazards and toxic threats that can lurk in fairy lights, candles and flammable Christmas decorations.
Kitchens are also a fire hotspot as potential distraction while cooking is high, but particularly at Christmas when more people are likely to be in the home and those cooking might be tempted to have a festive tipple.
As a result, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take care as they get into the festive spirit; dry Christmas trees, decorations and wrapped presents are all fuel for a fire in the home.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Tucker, Risk Manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The risk of fire in the home is an all year round issue, however people are particularly vulnerable at Christmas for many reasons ranging from unsafe electrical decorations and unattended candles to cooking while under the influence of alcohol.
“People vastly underestimate the deadly strength of toxic smoke and overestimate how long they have to escape should a fire break out. The reality is that just two to three breaths of smoke in a fire can render a person unconscious.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 10 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
“Christmas should be a time for celebration rather than tragedy and for this reason I’m urging people to be fire aware and stay fire safe.”
For more information on fire safety in the home visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk