Former county council leader says lockdown ‘infringes our basic human rights’ and wants restrictions lifted
- Credit: Archant
A former leader of Cambridgeshire County Council provoked outrage after claiming the coronavirus lockdown “infringes our basic human rights”.
Nick Clarke, who led the Conservative controlled county council until his defeat in 2013, later left the party to join UKIP.
He tweeted yesterday that “the problem with this protracted lockdown is that it infringes our basic human rights to associate, socialise and to self-determination.
“We all have the right to carry out actions even if they are not in our best interest. I don’t know anyone who has died from the virus”.
Mr Clarke, who now lives in Suffolk, also tweeted: “It’s probably sensible for those living in urban areas to maintain a lockdown but for those living in the rural areas it doesn’t make sense”.
You may also want to watch:
He followed up these with a further tweet today in which he says he is “looking forward to seeing some relaxation of the lockdown from Boris Johnson tonight”.
Mr Clarke, an unsuccessful candidate in 2016 for police and crime commissioner for Cambridgeshire, also tweeted: “We must not get used to being given permission by governments to carry on our lives. Liberty is too important to be taken for granted.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Cllr Mike Sergeant, a Labour member of Cambridge City Council, responded on Twitter that “Nick Clarke might be happy to endanger himself but the problem is that he is endangering everyone else and especially key workers”.
West Country Lib Dem councillor Ross Henley tweeted: “I’ve always thought having watched Nick Clarke in action that he is the most deluded person i have ever met in my long local government life.”
Huntingdon councillor Tom Sanderson tweeted, simply, “that’s Nick for you”.
WHAT DO YOU THINK: Email your thoughts to john.elworthy@archant,co.uk