Cambs police hail success of two month drink driving campaign but warn the message still not being heeded by enough people
- Credit: Archant
Fewer people this year were caught by Cambridgeshire police during a two month drink driving campaign than last year.
But the force says people are still risking lives by driving under the influence of drink or drugs, despite repeated police warnings.
During the national THINK! campaign, which ran from June 1 to July 31, 1,629 tests were administered, of which 127 were failed, and nine arrests were made for refusing to provide a specimen. This is a decrease from 173 failed tests during the same period last year, and eight people during that campaign refused to provide a specimen.
Sergeant Chris Huggins said: “We focused on the dangers of driving the morning after a heavy night and targeted areas where risk was highest, particularly around venues broadcasting the World Cup.
“Although the figures are lower than last year’s, our anti-drink and drug driving message, is still not being heeded by enough people. Drink driving puts lives at risk, not only the driver’s and any passengers’, but also other road users.
“We run the campaign throughout summer as many people want to enjoy the spectacle and excitement of sporting events, music festivals and the like, and while we’re not trying to diminish their enjoyment, people must take responsibility for themselves when getting behind the wheel of a car and ensure that they are in a fit state to do so.”