Campaign to ensure small pubs and independent brewers get fair share of profits gets MP Barclay’s backing
- Credit: Archant
A CAMPAIGN to ensure a fairer deal for local pubs and independent breweries has been backed by MP Steve Barclay.
Mr Barclay joined 170 fellow Members of Parliament in supporting The Fair Deal for Your Local Campaign, which is backing Government action to protect licensee landlords’ profits from excessive rents and high beer prices levied by large pub chains.
The Government’s plans include an official code of practice for big pub companies and the introduction of a powerful adjudicator to give licensee landlords protection.
Heavy license rates demanded by large pub companies are leading to the closure of 26 local pubs every week across the UK.
Mr Barclay said: “Local pubs and our excellent local breweries deserve a fair share of the profits that the large pub companies take from their products.
You may also want to watch:
“Local pubs serve a vital function in village and small town communities, and Landlords shouldn’t have to struggle to stay afloat when big chains are profiting.
“It is not a fair deal that 57 per cent of pub landlords who have signed a license with a big pub company stand to earn less than £10,000 a year on average whilst the chain continues to cream off big profits.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
“These new protections could mean that the average licensed-tied pub is at least £4,000 better off every year.”
For more information on the Fair Deal for Your Local Campaign visit www.fairdealforyourlocal.com.