Can you help find relatives of a Wisbech couple who opened a school in Wilburton in 1955?
- Credit: Archant
The search is on to find relatives of a couple who opened a school at Wilburton in 1955.
Teaching staff hope to include them in celebrations of the setting’s 60th anniversary this month.
Just ten years after the end of the Second World War Mr and Mrs Blackwell from Wisbech opened the Manor School and in 2003 it was renamed The Harbour School.
Pam Hudson said: “A villager who used to work at the school handed me a cutting from the Cambs Times from October 14, 1955 which gave a report about the grand opening.
“She dug it out after we held our first ever summer fete this year.
“We have never done fetes or open days but we want to start opening the doors so that people can see what we do here.
“We thought the 60th anniversary would be a good opportunity to not only open our doors but to also trace the couple who started the school.”
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 7 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Church gets set for annual Christmas tree festival
- 10 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
The newspaper cutting reports that Mr Blackwell as headteacher and Mrs Blackwell as matron, invited local dignitaries to the grand opening which involved an assembly, a tour and plenty of tea and cake - something the school will be recreating in their birthday celebrations in an assembly on October 12.
The Harbour School is now an 80 place day and residential special school set in secluded woodland and is for boys with social, emotional or behavioural difficulties.
Pupils attend from across Cambridgeshire.
An extensive building programme in Autumn 2006 added new classrooms, specialist teaching rooms, a refurbished residential block and a swimming pool.
If you can help trace relatives of Mr and Mrs Blackwell then contact the school on 01353-740229 or email email@example.com.