Can you help trace relatives of a couple from Wisbech who opened a school in Wilburton in 1955?
- Credit: Archant
The search is on to find relatives of a couple who opened a school at Wilburton in 1955.
Teaching staff hope to include them in celebrations of the setting’s 60th anniversary this month.
Just ten years after the end of the Second World War Mr and Mrs Blackwell from Wisbech opened the Manor School and in 2003 it was renamed The Harbour School.
Pam Hudson said: “A villager who used to work at the school handed me a cutting from the Cambs Times from October 14, 1955 which gave a report about the grand opening.
“She dug it out after we held our first ever summer fete this year.
You may also want to watch:
“We have never done fetes or open days but we want to start opening the doors so that people can see what we do here.
“We thought the 60th anniversary would be a good opportunity to not only open our doors but to also trace the couple who started the school.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 10 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
The newspaper cutting reports that Mr Blackwell as headteacher and Mrs Blackwell as matron, invited local dignitaries to the grand opening which involved an assembly, a tour and plenty of tea and cake - something the school will be recreating in their birthday celebrations in an assembly on October 12.
The Harbour School is now an 80 place day and residential special school set in secluded woodland and is for boys with social, emotional or behavioural difficulties.
Pupils attend from across Cambridgeshire.
An extensive building programme in Autumn 2006 added new classrooms, specialist teaching rooms, a refurbished residential block and a swimming pool.
If you can help trace relatives of Mr and Mrs Blackwell then contact the school on 01353-740229 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.