Capturing the delight of the Union of South Africa steam locomotive as it stoppped off in March
- Credit: Archant
They never fail to delight and so it was no surprise to see enthusiasts crowding the line as an historic steam locomotive stopped off at March station.
The 60009 Union of South Africa, built in 1937, was on a festive trip from Norwich to York via Wymondham, Attleborough, Thetford, Brandon, March and Peterborough.
The ‘York Yuletide Express’ also passed through Grantham, Newark and Retford before stopping at Doncaster for the steam locomotive to take on water and making a fast run along the East Coast Main Line to York.
Our reader James Bunn was on hand in March to capture the moment the steam loco pulled in.
“We braved the elements and got some pictures of the beautiful steam train - Union Of South Africa as she called at March on her way back from York,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“I particularly like the picture of the driver - which captures some of the surviving beauty of March a Station’s ironwork.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire