Car fanatic devastated after thieves steal rare parts from classic Mini
A CLASSIC car fanatic has warned motorists to step up their security after thieves stole rare parts worth �1,000 from his beloved Mini.
Cezare White, 27, was left devastated when the offenders broke into the classic Austin Mayfair Mini he was restoring, which he describes as his “pride and joy”.
The thieves stole a set of rare split-rim wheels, a new exhaust system and a series of smaller items from inside the car, which was stored at a garage in Sutton Road, Leverington.
Mr White, a freelance photographer, said the thieves had also caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage by breaking into the car on Thursday evening (December 29).
“It’s really devastating,” he said. “They have waited until the right time of year, when people are away enjoying Christmas and New Year, to try and steal it. “It’s going to take a lot more money and time before I can get it back on the road now. I don’t think it will ever be the same as it was. It’s such a shame.”
You may also want to watch:
The thieves tried several times to start the classic Mini, even adding petrol in an attempt to remove it from the garage. Damage was done to the doors, boot, rear window, rear arch, dashboard, steering column and ignition.
Mr White, a former member of the East Coast Mini Club, bought the car for �1,200 and has spent two years restoring it. He said these thefts were becoming more common.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
“I think there’s a lot of it going on,” he said. “I posted what happened on a mini internet forum and it seems there’s a lot being stolen.
“I’ve been meaning to move the car anyway and it’s taken this for it to happen.”
Mr White’s uncle has offered a �100 reward for recovery of the rare wheels.
A police spokesman said the theft happened between 3-8pm on December 29 and an investigation has been launched. Anyone with information should contact police on 101.