Volkswagen car bursts into flames while driving on Fenland road
- Credit: Twitter/@cambsfrs
On-call firefighters were called to a quiet Fenland back road over the weekend after a car burst into flames while driving.
The crew were left tackling the accidental blaze for over an hour on Saturday, August 15 at around 11am on Benwick Road in Whittlesey.
The firefighters were paged to the incident from their homes and arrived to find the Volkswagen car already “well alight”.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 11.14am on Saturday, a crew from Whittlesey was called to a fire on Benwick Road in Whittlesey.
“Firefighters arrived to find a car well alight. Wearing breathing apparatus, they extinguished the fire using hose reels and returned to their station by 12.30pm.
“The cause of the fire was accidental.”
On-call firefighters are not based at a fire station. They carry a pager and respond to emergency incidents as and when they happen.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 9 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 10 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
They receive an annual wage to reflect the time they commit to being available plus additional payments for attending incidents and drill nights.