Volkswagen car bursts into flames while driving on Fenland road
- Credit: Twitter/@cambsfrs
On-call firefighters were called to a quiet Fenland back road over the weekend after a car burst into flames while driving.
The crew were left tackling the accidental blaze for over an hour on Saturday, August 15 at around 11am on Benwick Road in Whittlesey.
The firefighters were paged to the incident from their homes and arrived to find the Volkswagen car already “well alight”.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 11.14am on Saturday, a crew from Whittlesey was called to a fire on Benwick Road in Whittlesey.
“Firefighters arrived to find a car well alight. Wearing breathing apparatus, they extinguished the fire using hose reels and returned to their station by 12.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
“The cause of the fire was accidental.”
On-call firefighters are not based at a fire station. They carry a pager and respond to emergency incidents as and when they happen.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
They receive an annual wage to reflect the time they commit to being available plus additional payments for attending incidents and drill nights.