Car salesman hangs up the keys after selling Nissans for three decades
- Credit: Archant
A car salesman has retired after 30 years selling Nissans.
John Day, 65, called time on his career after selling thousands of cars at Nissan outlets across East Anglia.
The sales executive has spent the last 10 years working at JS Holmes Nissan in Wisbech St Mary.
John said: “My approach has always been the same – I’ve never pressured anyone to buy a car, they choose to buy from me. You sell yourself first and then the rest follows.
“Taking that approach often means people cease to be customers and become friends. I’ve made many friends through car sales down the years and I have lots of people who come back to me whenever they’re looking for a new car.”
You may also want to watch:
But while John’s sales approach may not have changed down the years, the Nissan brand certainly has.
“Things were different back then,” he recalled. “The early Nissans had absolutely everything on them but no-one wanted to buy a British-built car.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“Today we have a product that’s so reliable it practically sells itself.”
His career with the Japanese brand dates back to 1985 – the year Datsun became Nissan and the carmaker opened its plant in Sunderland.
The first Nissan he ever sold was a red Nissan Cherry. Three decades later, he sold his last car, a Nissan Qashqai.
Martin Holmes, dealer principal at JS Holmes Nissan, said: “John’s been a big part of this dealership’s success for so long and things certainly won’t be the same without him.
“We wish both he and Jane all the best for a long and happy retirement.”