Caravan enthusiasts ask: ‘What’s this Cambridgeshire flag?’ It’s the county council flag, says competition organiser
- Credit: Archant
Caravan enthusiasts Heather and Ken Batchelor were left bemused by a competition to find a new county flag for Cambridgeshire.
A competition has been launched by Andrew Strangeway, from Yorkshire, to create a Cambridgeshire flag after discovering the county lacks its own emblem.
The Batchelors, of March, responded to the competition by sharing this flag, which they bought at a caravan rally in Lincoln two years ago.
Mr Batchelor said: “We were at a rally in Lincoln two years ago and there was a stall selling county flags. I commented to the lady running the stall that it was a shame Cambridgeshire didn’t have a flag for us to fly on our caravan.
“She replied ‘but it does’ and promptly produced a flag in a package labelled ‘Cambridgeshire’.
“It cost £5 and we bought it with the intention of flying it the next time we took the caravan out, but to be honest we haven’t actually done that.
“We are bit confused about why there is this search for a flag for Cambridgeshire, when it appears we already have a perfectly good flag.”
- 1 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 2 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 3 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 4 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 5 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 6 Jury to go out in trial of driver accused of causing toddler's death
- 7 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 8 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 9 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 10 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
However Mr Strangeway, a self-employed decorator from York, says the Batchelors’ flag is the Cambridgeshire County Council flag and does not represent Cambridgeshire.
Mr Strangeway said: “The UK Flag Registry website shows all the counties that have a registered flag. Cambridgeshire is not includedso it does not have a flag.
“The flag acts as a symbol for the county. It is amazing that Cambridgeshire does not have one as there is so much cultural heritage in the county.”
Mr Strangeway is running an online vote to choose one of six designs to become the Cambridgeshire flag. The competition runs until December 31.
To vote, visit andystrangeway.wordpress.com/cambridgeshire-flag