Care hub for family support is launched in Ely - ‘it can be lonely caring on your own’ one says one member of the group
- Credit: Archant
A carers’ hub has been launched to help people who look after family members in the area.
The Mayor of Ely Ian Lindsay said that it was important that family carers were supported.
Launching the Ely Carers Hub for Carers Trust Cambridgeshire he said: “We are all going to know carers and they deserve our support.”
Melanie Gray, deputy chief executive of Carers Trust Cambridgeshire, said: “The hub was developed in response to a need being identified for a place where family carers and the people they care for, could access a range of support and activities together.”
Activities within the hub will include art, craft, singing, holistic therapies, information and signposting on benefits and entitlements, access to training, access to speakers on wider health issues and access to carers’ assessments.
You may also want to watch:
Ian Hitch, carer for his mother Janet, 82, who has Alzheimer’s disease, said he welcomed the hub.
“It can be lonely caring on your own,” he said.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Family carers and the people they care for joined healthcare professionals and partners for the launch at the Larkfield Community Centre.
The hub will meet the last Friday morning of the month. Flower arranging and Tai Chi were provided for family carers at the Ely launch.
• If you would like to go to the Ely Carers Hub, or would like further information, please contact Carers Trust Cambridgeshire on 01480 499090, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website www.carerstrustcambridgeshire.org.